I recently started taking breaks to read throughout the day to give my eyes a rest from the computer screen, so that’s how I finally was able to finish a book on my reading list. If you are a boutique business owner, then I HIGHLY recommend this one: Worth Every Penny. Running a boutique business does not necessarily mean owning a small boutique store; it means running and operating your business to be customized and personal to each client that you encounter and going above and beyond what the “big box stores” would do. I have worked hard to uphold this type of experience with JSP, and the book gave me many more awesome ideas to give my business model more sparkle.
When I came into this business, I did it because I loved photography and the idea of doing something creative every day, much like many other new photographers entering the field every day. However, I quickly realized that the photography portion of my job takes up only about 10% of my time. The remaining 90% is business related, and thankfully I have learned to love that portion of my job too. I strive to make my clients feel loved and special with every aspect of their experience with me. The epilogue of Worth Every Penny also had a rundown about starting a boutique business, and this was one of my favorite excerpts, dedicated to those who misunderstand what I do and those who are considering opening your own photography business:
“Is your business your passion? Is it the thing that captures your every thought? Ask any boutique business owner why they’re successful and one of the answers they’re all sure to give is “Because I love it”. But there’s more. You also have to love the business portion of being in business. You have to love being responsible for all the details. (…) The perks of working for yourself are fantastic. You make the rules. You live your passion. The freedom to take vacations, set your pay, and meet great people is priceless. With freedom comes responsibility. It can mean long, late hours. It can mean working while you’re on vacation because you are the only one who knows the answers. It could mean you’re delivering a client order at 10:30pm on Christmas Eve. It can mean constant attention and focus. There are a lot of sacrifices that accompany the benefits. Do you have the right attitude to handle those sacrifices?”
think KNOW I have the right attitude, and look forward to bettering myself and my business every day to make my services “worth every penny”.
July Goals (I’m keeping them short and sweet this month as I’m trying to keep up with work and fit in some vacation time too!)
- Focus on refining my rebranding. I’m working with Jane Johnson Design and we’ve gone through a couple rounds of logo revisions so far. This process has been more difficult than I thought, but I’m excited for the finished results!
- Take photos and post about new office!
- Update website with new photos.
- Compile all notes and memos from seminars, conventions, workshops, books, etc into one big notebook for easy reference.
- We are back to our turn for supper club, so my goal is to try some new recipes or cooking techniques and have my friends taste test.I’m thinking Asian, so if you have any favorite recipes, leave me some comments!
- Keep up with wedding season…3 more weddings in June and lots of awesome sessions! - Organize and send vendor photos. - Craft projects for the month: clean and update the antique suitcases into table; refinish and make cushions for new chair; sew curtains and pillows with new fabric. Suitcase is cleaned and the feet were painted, chair is refinished but still looking for cushions (they are such an odd size), and curtains are almost ready to be hung.
And a post is never finished without a photo, so here’s one of me and B being super touristy after shooting Joe and Tiffany’s wedding in Philly.